In my history with two children I think I have used the changing mat that came in my diaper bag once - so that doesn't need to come with me everywhere. It can sit in my car. The things that I find necessary to carry with me everywhere are as follows:
- a few diapers for each kid
- a pack of wipes
- a small tube of Desitin/a&d
- a burp cloth/bib (if you have a wee one)
- an extra onesie (if you have a wee one)
- a small tube of sunscreen
- a bottle of milk/formula in case the baby gets hungry (if you have a wee one) - make sure it has a lid on it. You don't want this stuff spilling out all over your favorite bag.
- a small toy or two - the iphone work great in a pinch (or always) (if you've got toddlers)
- pacifier (if your baby takes one)
Here's the secret:
Put most of the baby essentials in a large pouch that fits inside of a tote and can easily be moved from one bag to another. I find I can fit everything except the toys and bottle. Here are a few suggestions - I bought the Anthro Tweed Pouch (3.) This picture doesn't do it justice. It's perfect for the job and is fashionable! As a bonus, when your husband goes to change a diaper when you're out, he only needs to grab the zippered pouch rather than the entire diaper bag - he'll thank you. Trust me.
Thanks for reading!
ps. I'm linked up with The Fashion Informant (here) - check it out!